Few climbers experience the entire life cycle of a route: from scoping out a line, to bolting it, and finally fulfilling its ascent. This arduous and artistic process demands immense passion, discipline, and motivation—an ability to actualize the potential of a never-before-climbed line.
This very challenge has driven the climbing goals of talented sport climber Joe Kinder for the past several years; taking the lead in bolting some of the hardest lines in the world and pushing his limits to see their ascents through.
It’s interesting to be able to be the author of a route. Your body has to be the language that that route is written in.
Want more climbing content? Get our awesome climbing newsletter, delivered weekly.
- Our 40+ most popular articles ever
- Today’s Best Rock Climbing Gear Deals
- 200+ rock climbing videos
- Video: Joe Kinder Climbs Garbage Pail Kids in Rifle, CO
- Video: The Width of Life — A Homage to Dave Pegg
- Video: Jon Cardwell Climbing Rifle’s Hardest Lines
- Essay: An Ode to the Developers
- Climber Spotlight: Joe “Kindkid” Kinder
- Video: Joe Kinder and Patxi Usobiaga Climbing in Sardinia, Italy
- A Recap of the 2017 Flash Foxy Women’s Climbing Festival
- Get daily updates by Liking us on Facebook
- Free rock climbing PDFs on technique, training, knots, and more