Join adidas Outdoor athlete Gareth “Gaz” Leah as he takes on a big wall development mission in São Tomé and Príncipe—a small island nation off the western coast of central Africa.
The aim? To establish a route on a remote 300-meter volcanic rock structure known as Pico Cão Grande, which Gaz located with the help of Google Maps. This film dives into the epic journey to accomplish the goal, featuring ample surprises, challenges, and lessons learned along the way.
Climbing walls has a really strange reward to it. It’s not something that you achieve necessarily immediately and it’s not something that you feel all of the time. It’s the experience, it’s the journey. You’re living this journey that is really pushing yourself physically and mentally, and because of that, I think I come out a better person after each one.
Want more climbing content? Get our awesome climbing newsletter, delivered weekly.
- Our 30+ most popular articles ever
- Today’s Best Rock Climbing Gear Deals
- 200+ rock climbing videos
- Video: Magnus Midtbo Climbing Big Walls at Flatanger Cave in Norway
- Video: Fulfilling Dreams: Big Wall Route Development in El Potrero Chico
- Video: James Pearson Climbs Unique Trad Lines in South Africa
- 10 Common Mistakes New Big Wall Climbers Make
- How to Pee on a Wall (When You Don’t Have a Penis)
- Get daily updates by Liking us on Facebook
- Free rock climbing PDFs on technique, training, knots, and more