The following post is a Campfire: a short story of 110 words or less and one photo. Want to take on the challenge? Submit your Campfire here.
Early morning, the journey begins.
Your Backpack, your buddy, your breath, you.
The steps so easy, the Vision so clear.
Lunchtime, this pitch seems endless.
The gear on your harness, the partner on belay, your stomach growls, you.
Meter after meter, the summit still far.
Evening, was it too much?
Everything wet, in desperation, exhausted, you.
Minute after minute, what is the goal?
Late at night, everything hurts.
Shot from the peak, legs in the bag, far below zero, you.
Summit is half time, descending tomorrow, why such pain?
A glimpse of a falling star, for this one moment!
Want more climbing content? Get our awesome climbing newsletter, delivered weekly.
- View all Campfire posts
- Our 30+ most popular articles ever
- A Glimpse from the Tallest Mountain in the Americas
- To Keep Moving Forward: How Doing Hard Things Can Help Us Heal
- 25 Books Every Climber Should Read
- Escalando Fronteras: Empowering Disadvantaged Youth in Mexico Through Rock Climbing
- Featured Photographer: Cameron “Bearcam” Maier
- Featured Photographer: Mary Mecklenburg
- Free eBooks on rock climbing technique, knots, training games, and more
- Best Deals on Climbing Gear This Week
Want more climbing content? Get our awesome climbing newsletter.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest climbing news, hand-picked gear deals, training, articles, and more updates from our team. Thanks for supporting our grassroots community!