Garbanzo fava bean pancake recipe
Don’t know about you, but starting off the morning with a hot stack of pancakes brings a smile to our faces and our bellies. And while we may have once settled for IHOP pancakes (come on over, sugar comatose!), we’ve learned a thing or two about health over the years that have us desiring something a little more nutritious before we head out for a day of adventuring.
The real beauty of “pancakes,” is that there isn’t really a right or wrong way to make them. You can cook a delicious stack using a variety of flours, add-ins, and flavors—and amend those ingredients based upon your own dietary and taste preferences. As such, we’re always excited to experiment with different variables in our pancakes to whip out some delicious (and sometimes pretty weird!) recipes.
Recently, we found ourselves with quite a tasty batch using “garfava: flour (Bob’s Red Mill’s Garbanzo Fava Bean Flour). Yep—BEANS IN PANCAKES! SAY WHAT?!
Despite how bizarre it may sound, you’ll be surprised by how simple and delicious these pancakes will turn out—offering a slightly savory, nutty taste, which you can sweeten up with the addition of some ever-essential Vermont maple syrup, banana, coconut, chocolate chips, or any other toppings you desire to make your pancake dreams come true.
And for those who eat gluten-free, “garfava” flour offers a great alternative to wheat-based flours. It’s also packed with some impressive nutrition that provides a great balance of carbs, protein, and fiber to power you for the day.
The list here is quite simple, and as with all pancake recipes, can be amended to your preferences. Aside from the “garfava” flour, you’ll likely have the rest of these ingredients stowed somewhere in your pantry.
Servings: 1 (4 4-inch diameter pancakes)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any other type)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coconut oil for cooking (or other oil of your choice)
Toppings to consider: dab of butter, maple syrup, Bob’s Red Mill Flaked Coconut, chocolate chips, sliced banana, berries, peanut butter, slivered almonds, etc. Go wild!
Pancakes are pretty straight forward. Essentially, you just need to mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, combine and whisk, and pour your newly made batter into a pan.
Step-by-step recipe directions:
- Turn on your pan or griddle over a medium heat and coat with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the “garfava” flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together the almond milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk vigourously (mini-forearm workout!).
- Pour the batter on your pan and wait for air bubbles to come up and pop. Then flip them over, and brown the other side until done.
- Toss on your toppings (don’t forget the maple!) and enjoy your garbanzo fava pancakes (outside if possible!).