Watch as James Pearson nabs an ascent of the iconic 4-pitch route, The Quarryman (5.13d/e8), located in the slate quarries of Wales.
This historic route was originally established by British climbing legend, Johnny Dawes in the 80s and made famous by the beloved old school film, Stone Monkey. “The Groove” pitch of The Quarryman has been considered the hardest chimney climb of its kind in the world.
I was always intimidated by it … It’s so unlike any route I’ve climbed before; a route that when you first put your hands on the rock, you don’t understand a thing. And slowly figuring it all out, it’s kind of like learning to climb again.
Want more climbing content? Get our awesome climbing newsletter, delivered weekly.
- Our 30+ most popular articles ever
- Today’s Best Rock Climbing Gear Deals
- 200+ rock climbing videos
- Video: Alex Honnold and Hazel Findlay Explore Welsh Slate
- Video: Rocklands—A Trad Diary with James Pearson & Caroline Ciavaldini
- Video: Stonnis—Climbing the Difficult Trad of Black Rocks
- What’s in Your Pack: Jonathan Siegrist on His Projects, Climbing in Spain, and Gear Tips
- Get daily updates by Liking us on Facebook
- Free rock climbing PDFs on technique, training, knots, and more
Want more climbing content? Get our awesome climbing newsletter.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest climbing news, hand-picked gear deals, training, articles, and more updates from our team. Thanks for supporting our grassroots community!